For readers of more mature years, Jacklins in High Street Colchester is likely to be warmly remembered.
It began life as a small confectioners and tobacconists in 1920. The business prospered and it was rebuilt in 1927 by founder Freddie Jacklin in the popular Art Deco style of the day, with a ground floor shop and second floor tea room/restaurant. Jacklins was renowned for its coffee, which it ground and blended on the premises.
Jacklins closed its doors on 31 January 1997 after 70 years of serving the community and was absorbed into the neighbouring Williams & Griffin department store. It became the new home to Williams and Griffin’s menswear department, with formalwear and suits on the first floor and casualwear on the ground floor.
Fast forward 20 years and Caffè Nero restaurant now occupies the site previously occupied by Jacklins Restaurant. After discussions with town planners, architects refined the scheme to retain the original Art Deco façade. The move was warmly welcomed by historians and other civic groups.
Jacklins’ proud heritage has not been forgotten. Its former sign has been restored and will hang proudly at the front of the new Fenwick store.