Warm up with Malcolm Harradine as he cooks some comforting winter recipes - just what you need to get you through the cold snap.
Here's a sneak peek at one of the recipes...
LAMB SHANK CASSEROLE
2 lamb shanks
1 tbsp oil
2 red onions, finely sliced
75ml balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp lamb bouillon mixed with 25ml water
150ml red wine
200g chopped tomatoes or can of Italian tomatoes
1 tsp Marmite
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
Seasoning to taste
Plain flour for dusting
A good pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 165°C.
2. Sieve the flour and place this, the salt and the pepper into a large airtight container.
3. Add the lamb shanks and toss into the flour until well covered then discard the excess flour.
4. Heat on high the oil and butter in a heavy based casserole and sear the lamb shanks all over until they have caramelized. Remove the lamb and keep warm.
5. Using the same casserole, toss in the onions and garlic and brown off on a low heat.
6. Add the tin of tomatoes, the wine, Marmite, lamb bouillon, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper (to taste) and mix together.
7. Place the lamb shanks back into the casserole, mix the sauce gently in and around the meat.
8. Add a tight fitting lid to the dish, and place into the oven and cook for approx 2 – 2 ½ hours or until the lamb shanks are very tender.
9. Serve with cheesy mash, lemon carrots and peas and a big pot of freshly made mint sauce. Lovely!
Saturday 20 February in the Living Kitchen, Lower Ground Floor.