Treat Mum to cupcake (or two!) in the Living Kitchen on Sunday 26 March where Malcolm Harradine will be using the new mini mixers from KitchenAid to bake up some sweet treats.
Receive a free 5 piece bakeware set worth £130 when you purchase a KitchenAid mixer on Sunday 26 March.
Join Bentalls Kingston in The Living Kitchen, Lower Ground Floor.
Why not bake Malcolm's classic 'Butterfly Buns' recipe at home?...
12 Prep/Cooking Time : 1 hr 10 minutes
125g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 drops of vanilla essence
(50g plain dark chocolate, melted - optional for choc buns)
125g self raising flour, sifted
For the topping:
200g of sifted icing sugar (keep 25g back for sifting over the top when you have finished decorating)
Bake the Buns
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and prepare a 12 cup bun tin with paper cases within each one.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar until creamy and pale then beat in the egg a little at a time.
3. Add the vanilla essence and mix well, (stir in the warm chocolate if you prefer choc buns), then fold in the flour.
4. Place a large spoonful of mixture into each of the bun cases.
5. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown and the top of the bun is springy to the touch.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Decorate the Buns
1. Starting around a third of the way in from edge of each cake, use a sharp knife point to cut into and remove the centre of the bun and put to one side.
2. Fill the hole with a small knob of butter icing and pop the lid back on top.
3. Sprinkle with icing sugar to finish.