Take a look at this delicious recipe from the Saltwater Fish Company, the perfect hearty dish for the Easter festivities...
Sea scallops with Gremolata and Lemon Oil
Cooking with fish doesn’t get much simpler than this!
To ensure a good, dark caramelised crust be sure to get the pan nice and hot, to a point where the oil is almost smoking. If you’d like to serve this as a main course simply add another two scallops alongside steamed sprouting broccoli and sea kale.
(serves 2 as a starter)
– 4-6 large king scallops
– ½ tbsp olive oil
– 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
– ½ tbsp lemon zest, grated
– ½ tbsp flat parsley leaves, chopped
– fine sea salt and milled black pepper
– 1tsp lemon flavoured olive oil
– 2 wedges of lemon
1. Clean and wash the scallops, removing the tough outer muscle while retaining the roe.
2. Combine the chopped garlic, lemon zest and parsley in a small bowl to make the gremolata*.
3. Season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a small cast iron frying pan, add a film of olive oil and then place in the scallops, searing quickly on both sides to create a good crust.
5. Remove from the pan and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
6. Divide the scallops between two warm plates.
7. Sprinkle generously with gremolata then add a good drizzle of lemon oil.
8. Add a wedge of lemon on the side of the plate.
All ingredients are available in the Fenwick Newcastle Food Hall.
*Gremolata is a blend of grated garlic, citrus zest and chopped parsley used extensively in Italian cookery.