SALTWATER FISH COMPANY'S TUNA SKEWERS
For the Tuna:
– 2tsp Fennel Seeds, toasted gently in a dry pan and ground using a pestle and mortar
– 2tsp Dried Oregano
- 2tsp Caster Sugar
– 1tsp Flaked Sea Salt
– 2tsp Milled Black Pepper
– 600g Sashimi Grade Tuna Fillet
– Olive Oil
For the Spicy Peppers:
– 1tbls Olive Oil
– ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
– 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
– 1 Red Pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
– 1 Yellow Pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
– 1 Large Green Chilli, thinly sliced
– Sea Salt and Milled Black Pepper
– 1tbls Red Wine Vinegar
– 2tsp Marjoram Leaves
Soak 4 bamboo skewers overnight in cold water.
Mix the ground fennel seeds, oregano, sea salt and black pepper in a large bowl.
Add the tuna cubes and toss to coat on all sides.
Thread 5 or 6 cubes onto each skewer, shaking off any excess spice.
Pre-heat the grill.
Brush the tuna cubes with a little oil and place on the hottest part of the grill and cook for 1 minute.
Turn carefully using tongs and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer to warm plates with the spicy peppers and a wedge of lemon.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
Add the onion, garlic, peppers, chilli, salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring from time to time until the onions and peppers are softened.
Add the vinegar and allow to evaporate then toss the peppers into a bowl.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes then stir in the marjoram leaves. Adjust seasoning if necessary.