Illustration: Blair Breitenstein
Personal shoppers not only give you their style know-how they also give you the gift of time: make the most of every second with Hilary Alexander's top ten tips.
- Do book your appointment by telephone or email.
- Be prepared to have a friendly telephone chat with your personal shopper before your meeting so she can gauge what you’re looking for.
- Do mention favourite colours and likes/dislikes, but don’t be afraid to experiment. Almost every Fenwick personal shopper I spoke to had had an experience of a customer insisting “I can’t wear X” or “I hate Y”, and yet ended up buying the very dress/suit she thought she couldn’t stand.
- Take a favourite pair of shoes with you, or the shoes you plan to wear with the new outfit; you will be more comfortable during the trying on.
- Do give your personal shopper an idea of how much you are prepared to spend. It will save time and avoid disappointment.
- Allow at least two hours for your session – unless you’re taking part in a “Perfect Pair of Jeans in 30 Minutes” experience, such as the Newcastle store recently hosted.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for underwear advice. All the Fenwick personal shoppers can call on experienced bra-fitters from their lingerie departments and will have an arsenal of ‘shape-wear’ at their command.
- Personal shopping areas are private, discreet and designed to put you at your ease with comfortable chairs, fitting rooms and full-length mirrors. Complimentary coffee, tea, water or juice are available.
- Hair and make-up are part of the total look and most personal shopping services will give you advice.
- Don’t forget to enjoy yourself. It’s your job to relax and have fun while the personal shopper does all the work.
Click below to send a question to our personal shoppers: