Join in the Chinese New Year celebrations this Friday 16 February with this fantastic recipe for Hong Kong Style Steamed Scallops from Saltwater Fish Company.
Steaming is a favourite cooking method for fish in Southern China. There’s nothing to mask the fresh taste and the natural sweetness of the scallops which is really enhanced by the other ingredients.
SALTWATER FISH COMPANY HONG KONG STYLE STEAMED SCALLOPS
Ingredients (serves 2-4 as a starter):
– 4 large scallops, in the shell
– 1 pinch of sea salt
– 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, finely shredded
– 3tbls spring onions, finely shredded
– ½ mild red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
– 1tbsp light soy sauce
– 2tsp dark soy sauce
– 1tbsp sunflower oil
– 2tsp sesame oil
– fresh coriander sprigs for garnish
1. Clean and wash the scallops, removing the outer muscle but retaining the roe.
2. Set up a steamer and bring the water to a boil over a high heat.
3. Season the scallops with a little sea salt then scatter with the ginger.
4. Place into the steamer, cover with a lid and steam gently for 4 minutes or until scallops are just becoming opaque.
5. Remove from the steamer then scatter the spring onions and chilli over, followed by the soy sauce.
6. Heat the sunflower oil and sesame oil together in a small pan until almost smoking, then spoon or pour immediately over the scallops.
7. Serve right away.